Paus (earlier spellings include Pauss and de Paus) As indicated by his patronymic, Hans Olufsson's father was named Oluf. Due to his career as a member of the royal clergy, Hans Olufsson almost certainly had a privileged family background. Most canons in Norway at the time were recruited from the lower nobility, and normally studied at universities abroad, which was normally only possible with an affluent background. Hans Olufsson served as a canon at St Mary's Church and a member of its cathedral chapter until it was merged with that of Oslo Cathedral in 1545, following the Reformation. St Mary's Church was a powerful political institution as the seat of government of Norway at the time, as its provost was also the Chancellor of Norway. Its clergy held high aristocratic rank ''ex officio'', as decreed by Haakon V of Norway in a 1300 royal proclamation, with canons holding the rank of Knight (the highest rank of nobility in Norway since 1308), and were granted significant privileges. Hans Olufsson held a prebend (estate held for his lifetime), the prebend of Saint Mary's altar ''sub lectorio'', also known as the prebend of Dillevik, that included the income of 43 church properties (36 ''huder'', hides) in Eastern Norway. After 1545, Hans Olufsson served as a priest at Oslo Cathedral, but retained his prebend affiliated with the estate of St Mary's Church. He died on the night between 17 and 18 September 1570 and was buried in Oslo Cathedral on 19 September. Following his death, his prebend passed to Jens Nilssøn, the noted Oslo humanist and later Bishop of Oslo. Magnus Brostrup Landstad describes Povel Pedersson Paus as a learned and pious priest who held on to Catholic customs in post-Reformation Norway. Well versed in Latin, he wrote a Latin poem about his father and personally educated his children. Among his ten children were parish priest in Kviteseid ''Hans Paus'' (1656–1715) and district judge in Øvre Telemark ''Cornelius Paus'' (1662–1723), from which two living main lines of the family are descended. During the 17th and 18th centuries, the office of district judge of Øvre Telemark was effectively hereditary in the family for 106 consecutive years and four generations.